Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Houston Day 6

Hubby was still not well but he had no choice but to go for the exhibition. I was supposed to meet up with an old friend who just migrated to Texas about a month ago. But there is still no concrete plan yet. So, I decided to go to Katy Mills Mall. It's about 40 mins from my hotel. Since I need to buy an extra luggage bag, I thought why not check it out for any good deals. It's something like Houston Premium outlets. Mahdi, the Ethiopian cab driver, fetched me and sent me to Katy Mills. The cab fare was about USD50 (yeah.. it's like water!).

I headed straight to Books-A-Million. It's a huge bookstore and the books are dirt cheap! I bought 4 books for USD15! Hard cover novels are selling at USD6...the most! Told myself that buying all these books will add the weight to my baggage. Better not! So, I decided to choose those lightweight books. Then, I went around the mall. It's not crowded cos it's the middle of the week and I came during office hours. So, I took my own sweet time to look for stuff. Bought a few t-shirts for the brother, myself and hubby. Bought shoes...yeay!! At last I found a pair that I can fit in and cheap! Bought some souvenirs and then I am feeling so dead tired. Went to buy some cinnamon rolls with pecans. Here, the servings are huge. The amount of pecan nuts they put managed to satisfy my craving for pecan nuts for a long time! Hehehhee...

And then.....I remembered! How to go home?? Erk! I called Mahdi but he was somewhere far from Katy Mills. He asked me to call the Yellow Cab and if there was still no cab, then he would come and fetch me but I had to wait for sometime because of the heavy traffic in Houston. I called for a cab and waited. After about 20 minutes, a cab came driven by a migrant. Once I boarded the cab, he told me he needed to fill up gas. Damn! Another one trying to rip me! Stopped at the gas station and he did not even stop the fare metre. I did not say anything knowing very well that I am not familiar with this place. I decided to keep my mouth shut. Shortly, I received a message from hubby telling me to meet him at The Galleria cos his boss will be bringing us to the beryani place at Hillcroft. Told the cab driver about the change in venue. Once I reached the Galleria, the fare was USD55 (phew!). Gave him USD60 and he said thanks! Hahahaha.. damnit! No way am I going to give it to him! I told him I am waiting for my change! He just smiled and started digging in his pockets. Idiot! (Berani la cos dah reach a familiar place!)

Went for dinner at Hillcroft with hubby and his boss and packed some food back. So many halal restaurants there..... they even have Halal Chinese food! Took a cab back and hubby got his much needed rest as he was still feeling unwell.

No comments: