We were up early as my hubby's boss would be fetching us at 8.30am to go to the Johnson's Nasa Space Centre. We had our breakfast and got ready. Due to the not-so-good review that I read the night before, I was not really excited.
Anyway, it took us about 30-40 minutes to reach our destination. Once we reach the NASA area, the GPS went bonkers as it could not detect the new roads there. So we went round and round a few times before we reached our destination. We had to use our 'built-in GPS'.
Once we reached there, there were bus loads of students who just arrived. It was so crowded so we immediately bought our tickets before to avoid the long queue. It cost USD19.95 each but since we had the coupon from the hotel, that was USD5 off the regular price. Once inside, hubby and I decided to try out the Space Simulator. That was another USD4. Well, it was an ok-ok experience. Nothing fantastic. Wished they had the 3D effect for us to be able to experience the "going into space" feeling. Then we waited for the next show. The blast-off show. The children enjoyed it but I found nothing fantastic about it... hahahaa!!
The next one was the talk about Life in Space. Very interesting and informative. The lady explained to us about Life in Space and showed us the LIVE video of the astronauts that are currently in space now. Next we moved on to another talk about how they carried on with their everyday life in space. How they sleep, how they store their clothes, how to go to the toilet and shower, etc etc. Very interesting! Then we waited for the tram to go through the NASA ground. It took us about 30 mins to wait for the tram and before we could board the tram, we had to have our bags checked, take off our belt and went through a metal detector door. The tram tour took about 1 hour.
We went to the actual NASA buildings where they work and prepare all the things for the astronauts to go into space. Houston is not the launching pad to space but it's a place where they train the astronauts before they go into space. So we went to the Space Mock-Up facility where the astronauts train. They are put in real situations so that they will be prepared for life in space. We were told the next batch of astronauts going to space will be next Monday. I forgot to charge the battery for my camera the night before and it went 'kaput' at that very critical time. Arghhh! Had to resort to using my hp's camera to take the pictures. I am damn pissed with myself. Bodohkan!
After that, we had to board the tram again. It slowed down when it reached a group of trees that were planted to honour each and every one of the astronauts that had passed away. Some died during the course of their work and some died due to old age. It was really touching and sad when I passed these trees. Each tree has the name of the astronauts that had passed away.
Then we went to a place where there are 2 replicas of the space ship. Since my camera went 'dead' and I have only an inferior camera phone, I have no mood to take any photographs. We went back to take the tram back to the station. We were told that it's a tradition to scream and shout once the tram passed under the bridge. So that's what we did....SCREAMMMMM!!!!
We bought some souvenirs and then to Hillcroft for lunch. The sun was scorching hot and I could feel my skin burning. Had our beryani and off to TJ Maxx again cos hubby wanted to change one of the jeans he bought yesterday. So hubby's boss sent us there and left cos she had to return the car before 6pm. Did the exchange and bought some more stuff. After buying more stuff, we went to a cafe nearby for a drink and had bread and butter pudding in vanilla sauce. It was so yummy!! The best bread and butter pudding I ever had in my life, even better than the one at the then Cafe Vienna. Rested our feet for a while before going into another shop to look for shoes. Then we hailed for a cab to go back to our apartment. We have to pack by tonight. So many things to pack. Our room was filled with our shopping bags. I really didn't know where to start. At the same time, we did our laundry so at least I won't be bugged with dirty laundry once I reached home. We ended up with 3 big luggages to be checked-in and 7 hand-carried items. I wonder how much the access baggage going to cost us. Wait and see!!
I was already feeling unwell. I was having ticklish throat and runny nose. Went downstairs to the 24/7 mart to purchase some medications. The really nice and kind reception staff gave me some cough drops and recommended me some medication to last me the long flight home tomorrow. Then when we were about to go upstairs, she came and gave me a bottle of vitamin C drink, on the house! I was really touched! I am very impressed with their level of service the moment I stepped into the hotel and this last act of kindness really touched me to the core!
It's my last night in Houston and I am going to miss this place. Love the place the moment I stepped on US soil and I hope I will be back again. The staff at Staybridge Suites at 5190 Hidalgo are really friendly and kind and I am going to miss them. The service is excellent and I will definitely stay in Staybridge Suites again wherever they are available. Fond memories I will never forget.
I'll be back!!
Anyway, it took us about 30-40 minutes to reach our destination. Once we reach the NASA area, the GPS went bonkers as it could not detect the new roads there. So we went round and round a few times before we reached our destination. We had to use our 'built-in GPS'.
Once we reached there, there were bus loads of students who just arrived. It was so crowded so we immediately bought our tickets before to avoid the long queue. It cost USD19.95 each but since we had the coupon from the hotel, that was USD5 off the regular price. Once inside, hubby and I decided to try out the Space Simulator. That was another USD4. Well, it was an ok-ok experience. Nothing fantastic. Wished they had the 3D effect for us to be able to experience the "going into space" feeling. Then we waited for the next show. The blast-off show. The children enjoyed it but I found nothing fantastic about it... hahahaa!!
The next one was the talk about Life in Space. Very interesting and informative. The lady explained to us about Life in Space and showed us the LIVE video of the astronauts that are currently in space now. Next we moved on to another talk about how they carried on with their everyday life in space. How they sleep, how they store their clothes, how to go to the toilet and shower, etc etc. Very interesting! Then we waited for the tram to go through the NASA ground. It took us about 30 mins to wait for the tram and before we could board the tram, we had to have our bags checked, take off our belt and went through a metal detector door. The tram tour took about 1 hour.
We went to the actual NASA buildings where they work and prepare all the things for the astronauts to go into space. Houston is not the launching pad to space but it's a place where they train the astronauts before they go into space. So we went to the Space Mock-Up facility where the astronauts train. They are put in real situations so that they will be prepared for life in space. We were told the next batch of astronauts going to space will be next Monday. I forgot to charge the battery for my camera the night before and it went 'kaput' at that very critical time. Arghhh! Had to resort to using my hp's camera to take the pictures. I am damn pissed with myself. Bodohkan!
After that, we had to board the tram again. It slowed down when it reached a group of trees that were planted to honour each and every one of the astronauts that had passed away. Some died during the course of their work and some died due to old age. It was really touching and sad when I passed these trees. Each tree has the name of the astronauts that had passed away.
Then we went to a place where there are 2 replicas of the space ship. Since my camera went 'dead' and I have only an inferior camera phone, I have no mood to take any photographs. We went back to take the tram back to the station. We were told that it's a tradition to scream and shout once the tram passed under the bridge. So that's what we did....SCREAMMMMM!!!!
We bought some souvenirs and then to Hillcroft for lunch. The sun was scorching hot and I could feel my skin burning. Had our beryani and off to TJ Maxx again cos hubby wanted to change one of the jeans he bought yesterday. So hubby's boss sent us there and left cos she had to return the car before 6pm. Did the exchange and bought some more stuff. After buying more stuff, we went to a cafe nearby for a drink and had bread and butter pudding in vanilla sauce. It was so yummy!! The best bread and butter pudding I ever had in my life, even better than the one at the then Cafe Vienna. Rested our feet for a while before going into another shop to look for shoes. Then we hailed for a cab to go back to our apartment. We have to pack by tonight. So many things to pack. Our room was filled with our shopping bags. I really didn't know where to start. At the same time, we did our laundry so at least I won't be bugged with dirty laundry once I reached home. We ended up with 3 big luggages to be checked-in and 7 hand-carried items. I wonder how much the access baggage going to cost us. Wait and see!!
I was already feeling unwell. I was having ticklish throat and runny nose. Went downstairs to the 24/7 mart to purchase some medications. The really nice and kind reception staff gave me some cough drops and recommended me some medication to last me the long flight home tomorrow. Then when we were about to go upstairs, she came and gave me a bottle of vitamin C drink, on the house! I was really touched! I am very impressed with their level of service the moment I stepped into the hotel and this last act of kindness really touched me to the core!
It's my last night in Houston and I am going to miss this place. Love the place the moment I stepped on US soil and I hope I will be back again. The staff at Staybridge Suites at 5190 Hidalgo are really friendly and kind and I am going to miss them. The service is excellent and I will definitely stay in Staybridge Suites again wherever they are available. Fond memories I will never forget.
I'll be back!!
No comments:
Post a Comment